70 percent of Missouri graduates stayed in state; 40 percent of non-residents became Missourians
May 13, 2011
Christian Basi, BasiC@missouri.edu, 573-882-4430
COLUMBIA, Mo. – Following a new “destination study”, University of Missouri officials found that starting salaries for Mizzou graduates rose by 6 percent compared to the previous year. Officials surveyed those who graduated between Fall 2009 and Spring 2010 for the study and found that 70 percent of MU undergraduates and 66 percent of graduate students stayed in Missouri after graduation. Around 40 percent of non-resident undergraduate students remained in the state after graduation, adding to the state’s economy.
For those responding to the survey, the average salary for undergraduates was $40,100 and $48,600 for graduate students. Those who graduated from the College of Engineering, School of Health Professions, Sinclair School of Nursing and the College of Business received the highest average salaries at $53,900, $44,300, $42,100 and $40,900 respectively.
Of those with bachelor’s degrees, 31 percent continued their education. Of those who were employed, 87 percent of undergraduates worked in a field related to their major. For those who earned graduate degrees, 11 percent furthered their education. Of those who were employed full time, 97 percent were working in a field related to their degree.
“The number of out-of-state students who are choosing to stay in Missouri after graduation shows that MU is importing and retaining people who contribute to the state’s economy,” said Ann Korschgen, vice provost for enrollment management.
MU officials added a new category, “Overall Placement Rate,” to the study this year. Overall Placement Rate is defined as graduates who met their post-graduation objective. Such objectives include obtaining full time employment or attending graduate school. MU’s overall placement rate was 71 percent, 68 percent for undergraduates and 74 percent for those with graduate degrees.
Other highlights from the Mizzou survey include:
- Social work undergraduates have an overall placement rate of 100 percent, with 54 percent attending graduate school and the remaining 46 percent finding employment in their field.
- 87 percent of nursing undergraduates who entered the job market were employed, with 97 percent of those in their chosen field.
- The number of those with graduate degrees employed in their chosen field rose slightly to 92 percent from 89 percent.