April 17, 2012
Christian Basi, BasiC@missouri.edu, 573-882-4430
WHAT: The University of Missouri’s Council on International Initiatives, Office of the Vice Provost for International Programs, and the International Center will recognize four members of the university community with International Engagement Awards. These awards are given to students, faculty members and staff that have made meaningful and sustained contributions to the internationalization of MU.
The four award winners are:
- Jill Ford, director of International Student Programs in the College of Engineering, developed the Engineering Peer Mentoring Program. The program helps international students transition to life in Columbia and expose MU students to other cultures.
- Puncky Heppner, Curator’s Professor in the College of Education, has created partnerships with four international universities. He also works to globalize counseling psychology. As president of the Society of Counseling Psychology, he established the International Section in Counseling Psychology.
- Angellar Manguvo, a graduate student in educational, school and counseling psychology, has served in leadership positions on the African Student Association and Missouri International Student Council. In addition, Manguvo’s research publications and presentations focus on the integration and presentation of African international students at a Midwestern university.
- Xinhua Zhuang, LaPierre Professor of Computer Science in the College of Engineering, has helped to attract international students to MU from China. In Columbia, Zhuang organizes events to expose students to American culture.
The awards ceremony will feature opening remarks from Jim Scott, director of the MU International Center, and a keynote address from MU Provost Brian Foster. In addition, a panel of four students and faculty members will discuss the importance of international programs at MU.
Other International Engagement Award nominees include:
- Jenny Bossaller, assistant professor of education
- Juanamaria Cordones-Cook, professor of Spanish
- Karyn Cremeens, business study abroad student services coordinator
- Jere Gilles, associate professor of rural sociology
- Vega Grace, MU Health System language services coordinator
- Adrienne Hoard, professor of art
- Kattesh Katti, Curator’s Distingiushed Professor of Physics and Radiology
- Sam Lin, biology student
- Zahra Rasool, journalism student
- Sarah Redohl, journalism student
- Lise Saffran, public health instructor
- Kristine Stewart, education student
- Marty Townsend, associate professor of English
- Rui Yao, assistant professor of personal financial planning
WHO: Speakers include:
- Brian Foster, MU Provost
- Jim Scott, director of the MU International Center
- Peter Gardner, professor emeritus of anthropology
- Vicki Carstens, associate professor of English
- Corinne Valdivia, associate professor of agricultural and applied economics
- Megan Gore, social work graduate student
WHERE: Room N214, Memorial Union, MU campus
WHEN: 3 p.m., April 17
NOTE: This event is free and open to the public.